Wednesday 12 March 2014

First time at Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)

The other day, I was invited by my friend Kyle to his mixed martial arts club called "Empire MMA". While being a little nervous, I decided to accept his invitation to this new adventure.

As I stepped into the building, I was greeted by a tough, heavily tattooed man, yet he had an honest smile as he greeted all kids, teens and adults to the class. As I met up with my friend Kyle, the class began. I was surprised to see around thirty people already doing some kind of wrestling in the ring. They were all seniors practicing Jui-jit-sui.  As the seniors cleared out and we and our fellow beginners entered, our class began our intense warm up, and then proceeded to Muay Thai, otherwise known as traditional "kick boxing". 

Kyle was an excellent peer, as well as teacher. As the entire class practice it's movements and tactics, Kyle and I went over every single detail and scenario, he taught me both persuasion and form. The next few days that proceeded were full of body pains from stretched muscles that I never knew I had! It was a very positive experience for me, and just goes to show what fun can be had when you are spontaneous and try new things.


No comments:

Post a Comment