Thursday 19 September 2013

The Art of Creativity and Expression

There really is no right or wrong way when it comes to the artist expression of the human spirit. In my own personal experience, it is one of my favourite things to do! Everyone has their own means of expression; through music, poetry, painting, drawing, writing... The list goes forever onward.

While expressing your creative side may seem like one of the easiest things to do, I believe it is actually one of the most hardest. The hardest part is starting. That's it. You can say to yourself "I am going to write a book" all day, and sit at that table with your notepad or laptop. However, you need to start. Inspiration comes and goes in mysterious ways. While you feel you want to write, you cannot arrange your chaotic, ever changing thoughts. You feel inspired to spill a world onto a piece of paper, but cannot command the first strokes of your pencil. Starting is always the hardest part, but when you start, it is hard to stop.

After "breaching the wall" of starting your creativity vomit, it then flows freely from you to your work. One must be sure that they do not create the habit of failure (continuos quitting because lack of starting) Just start. Even if you are drawing lines, or writing the same musical note over and over, just start. You might be surprised in what your work mutates into.

As I write this, I attempt to try and get rid of my own starting issues; my "writers block / artistic block". I will keep going till I do, and I hope that you will do the same.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right Henry. The most important thing to do when you are blocked is not to stop trying. Just write anything. Often when I have stuck on something for work -- I write a blog post. Good advice.

    ReplyDelete