Sunday 13 April 2014

Divergent - Film Review

Very often, we see movies before we read the books. This was reversed when I read the Harry Potter series, as I read all of the books THEN watched the films as I grew up. When I ventured into seeing the movie Divergent by myself one late winter night (this was around a month ago - old story) I wasn't too sure what to expect, due to me seeing the movie before the novel.

Please note - I kept spoilers at a minimum today for your sake, just go see this movie!

One of the many posters. Used from Summit (Owners).


After seeing the film in all of it's post-apocalyptic/future glory, I now understand why A) People see movies sometimes before reading the novel, and B) Why Divergent is so successful as a film AND novel.

I really, really enjoyed the film. As a 19 year-old, I had a lot in common with the main protagonist, who was going through a some-what identify crisis, and is eventually literally thrusted out of her home into a new life of adulthood and humanity. The film works on many unique and interesting ideas of humanity, while maintaining an atmosphere both pleasing to the viewer, and keeps them on their toes. I felt a real connection to the actress Shailen Woodley (Main character). She continues her journey through life, unsure, yet wants to keep going forward. Honestly, she's VERY good looking, but she did an excellent job acting as well. The audience really connects with her character and I can feel the connection with her character and the events in the story.

Overall, I highly recommend the movie, and LOVED Shailen in the film. I am excited to read the book now due to me having the connection with the characters, and having an easier visualization of the world. Sometimes, this can damage a connection with a book, but in this case, I think it is going to assist due to the movie being so well thought-out and done. Overall, I feel a 9/10 for this film *personally!

No comments:

Post a Comment