Friday 18 October 2013

Is Reading Week Really "Reading Week" Anymore?

"Have a fun reading week, everyone!" Our teachers say to us as we pack our bags and quickly vacate the class. While it is called "Reading Week", do the teachers even expect students to do homework at all anymore? While I cannot complain tat I get some more free time to travel, work, etc... I cannot help but feel that there is a loss as well. Education is very important, and should continue outside of school. While most of my teachers made sure I at least "open" my books by placing tests on the first days of returning to school, I feel that we as a province have come to the point that it is basically just a week off to relax.

I don't mind having no assignments, but I do see the public school elementary school system lacking. "Apparently" I have heard that teachers are no longer alowed to give homework to elementary students anymore? (Please correct me if I am wrong). If this is so, I believe this is a mistake of our school system. We must encourage our students of the future to develop good study habits at a young age, for when they become a 19 year old student like me, they will have good, positive habits, and get all their work done BEFORE reading week, so they can enjoy their post-secondary experience better. ;^)

In end, I believe there is a balance between work and play, and we carry our habits into our careers and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment