Monday 15 April 2013

Dear mini-me (Contest entry for StudentAwards.com)

For a scholarship last month, I entered a contest for a scholarship. The rules were simple: Write to your younger self about if you could do it all again, what would you change? Here is my entry:

If I could do it over again (through the magical Student Awards Time Machine), I would tell my younger self that it is OK to fail.

Life is meant to be enjoyed, so have fun. Don’t be living a life of fear in feeling that if you try something and you don’t succeed, you are a failure. This is not true. Life is about making mistakes and learning from them. If you don't succeed the first time, its OK! Try again, and again until you get it, alright?

You failed to get into the Air Cadet Glider camp TWICE, but the third time, you didn't get in again, but you got a special scholarship to York Soaring because you are such an amazing person! This also goes for asking "you-know-who" out to prom. Now being in a victory lap, it my greatest regret not asking her out. Just be yourself and ASK! It's OK if you fail, at least you tried and gave it your best shot! At least you KNOW.

You can only live your life once, alright, buddy. I want you to enjoy it to the max, so its OK to take risks with a possible outcome of failure. Imagine if Neil Armstrong never went to the moon because he was afraid of the mission failing! (which was a major possibility)

Never give up on your dreams, Henry. Never say no to them, just live your life.


With love from your future self,

Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment